Monday, January 20, 2014

Pronoun Squares

Happy 2014, everyone!

I'm starting the year off with pronouns. Here's the challenge I typically face: I create a sentence or a scenario for a sentence but can't "hint" at the subject of said sentence to elicit the correct pronoun. One way to meet that challenge is by using pictures. I like using Webber Photo Cards (story starters, verbs, social issues - links provided below). Once you've gone the picture route, you want the student to be able to use pronouns in written/read/orally presented sentences. That's where this activity comes in.




This packet targets subjective, objective, possessive and reflexive pronouns.

Subjective = I, you, he, she, it, we, they
Objective = me, you, him, her, it, us, them
Possessive = my, your(s), his, her(s), its, our(s), their(s)
Reflexive = myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, themselves

Use of pronouns is elicited by having a sentence with a picture of the target pronoun. Seen here:

 

There are 36 of these pictures for subjective, objective and possessive; 24 pictures for reflexive pronouns.

With an additional carryover/homework sheet for each group of pronouns:


There is a simple "square" game to go along with this activity or you can always use any basic turn taking game to keep the students entertained.

Want to use 3rd person pronouns outside of this activity? Here's this:


This product also has a FREEBIE in the preview portion. The freebie features the subjective pronoun pictures. Buy it on TeachersPayTeachers or Teacher's Notebook.

Interested in the Webber Photo Cards? (disclaimer: I'm not a paid spokesperson and am not receiving anything for free… although I wish I did!) Here are Verb Photo CardsStory Starter Photo Cards and Social Issues Photo Cards (good for pragmatics too).

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment